Pages

Monday, November 29, 2010

Fratlock's 2010 Movie List: Kid Movie Edition


Over the Thanksgiving week, I saw three kids movies.  Here you go:

1. Prince of Persia - This is another Disney franchise in the vein of Pirates of the Carribbean. It has a similarly murky and hole-filled plot with lots and lots of deus ex machina elements. But, outside of the weak story, there is some pretty good action and fantastic imagery. It reminded me a little of the Mummy. Gyllenhaal was better than I envisioned, and Gemma Arterton is fantastic. She steals the movie, in my opinion. It isn't a good movie, but the leads were entertaining. I'd probably see anything with Gemma Arterton involved. Better than Clash of the Titans, but the plot just can't hold up. 6/10.

2. Harry Potter 7, Part I - I enjoyed this movie, but that is probably because I read the books and have enjoyed the franchise. I think you have to be more invested in these characters to dig this one. The reason is because this is merely a set-up movie to the conclusion. I honestly was a little surprised at how little we got in this movie. The last one is gonna have to be huge. It was slow, but this part of the book moved slow as well. There is more character development in this part of Book 7, less exposition. But it was dark, and it was very well made. They have made this a more mature movie, with more mature characters (and acting, for that matter). 8/10.

3. Toy Story 3 - Pixar does a fantastic job of upping the ante year after year. I haven't seen either of the previous Toy Story movies in years, maybe since they came out. But I didn't feel like I needed to. And I was right. This one stands alone. It was phenomenal. It was funny, but it also packed an emotional punch, especially with the ending. This is right there with WALL-E, Up, and Monsters Inc. on my list of greatest Pixar movies. Highly recommended, even if you think Pixar movies are for kids. 8.5/10.

My updated list:

1. Inception - 9.75/10
2. The Town - 9/10
3. The Social Network - 9/10
4. Toy Story 3 - 8.5/10
5. Shutter Island - 8.5/10
6. HP7, Part I - 8/10
7. Robin Hood - 8/10
8. Kick Ass - 7.75/10
9. Winter's Bone - 7.75/10
10. Iron Man 2 - 7.5/10
...
Hot Tub Time Machine - 7/10
Prince of Persia - 6/10
Clash of the Titans - 5/10
Alice in Wonderland - 3.5/10

1 comment: