Pages

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Oscar Season Heats Up: 10 Movies to Watch (UPDATED)

UPDATE:  This list is pretty much obsolete based on the information I compiled above.  So, consider it a "dead thread."

....
When I say "watch" I really mean "look out for."  I've read a good bit this year about movies that are poised for Oscar.  I read a lot of blogs that discuss the top movies, as well articles and reviews on which movies have the most buzz or best ratings.  There are also Top 10 lists that are starting to be published by the critics and the various circles.  Based on what I've heard so far, these are my Top 10 movies to be on the lookout for this Oscar season (in order of how I rank them in terms of Oscar "buzz"):

1. The Social Network
2. The Kings Speech
3. Inception
4. Toy Story 3
5. Winters Bone
6. The Fighter
7. Black Swan
8. The Kids Are All Right
9. True Grit
10. 127 Hours

Others to watch for: The Town, Shutter Island, Another Year, Blue Valentine, Rabbit Hole

3 comments:

  1. Of these, there have only been a couple released nation-wide that I have not seen: The Kids Are All Right and Another Year.

    Yet to be released nation-wide: The Kings Speech, True Grit, Black Swan, 127 Hours, The Fighter, Blue Valentine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heard anything about "The Way Back"? I thought I heard on the radio the other day that it could be up for some awards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was some awards discussion of this movie a couple of months ago, but I haven't heard anything in a while and it isn't on any of the Top 10 lists so far.

    It stars Ed Harris and Colin Farrell who lead a group of men on a prison break and cross-country escape in Russian Siberia after one of the world wars. It is directed by Peter Weir, who directed The Truman Show and Master & Commander. There was a lot of buzz about this movie previously, but I'm just not seeing it right now.

    ReplyDelete