Pages

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Fratlock's 2010 Movie List


More movies to add to the old Top Ten list. 

Get Him to the Greek - This was okay.  I actually didn't enjoy the spin-off as much as I did the original "Forgetting Sarah Marshall."  It has some funny parts to it, but was not on my list of top funny films I've seen in recent years.  I think Russell Brand's character is great as a supporting role for loads of laughs, but for an entire movie it starts to run a little thin.  Rose Byrne's turn as Brand's ex was the highlight. 

Centurion - This was another of those stylized period action flicks in the wake of 300.  Some people liked it better than 300 because it wasn't quite as stylized.  I actually think that with these stylized movies, you either go hard or go home.  So in enjoyed 300 better.  But this one had its moments.  I think in the end I wanted to see Fassbender's character kick a little more ass, instead of being on the run most of the movie.  But the shots were exquisite, and Dominic West dominated the segments he was in.  Not much character development or plot, but it was better than I was anticipating. 

Shrek Forever After - I enjoy the Shrek movies for what they are - a creative and clever way to put pop culture into the fairy tales we all remember from when we were tykes.  It makes for good laughs.  Unfortunately, they begin to run out of ideas as the franchise continues.  But if you are a fan of the franchise, you will probably enjoy this movie.  The villain is great, as they've been in all the movies. 

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World - This is an uber-stylized take on another popular graphic novel series.  It's a lot of fun, especially at the outset, as it is a take on the Japanimation/Nintendo style.  The Universal intro may have been the coolest thing to me.  All the young people in the movie were fantastic, especially in the supporting roles.  Great, hilarious performances.  I liked Mary Elizabeth Winstead, but her character may not have had quite enough "cuteness" for me.  She reminded me of a perfect Lisbeth Salander from the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.  And Michael Cera may have been a bit too Michael Cera for me.  It did tend to drag a bit at the end.  But all in all it was a fun, clever, and innovative movie.  Good for something different. 

The List - I've made some adjustments to the list.  This is one of those things that happens as you think back on what you've seen over the year and start to see how movies compare.  Not only that, but you think more about which ones are more memorable and have more of a lasting impact, if at all.  Robin Hood and Iron Man 2 I've dropped a little, with their ratings.  As much as I wanted Iron Man 2 to be good, even after I saw it, it just wasn't.  Same with Robin Hood, after seeing it a second time, even though it was better to me that Iron Man 2 and I enjoyed it.

1. Inception - 9.75/10
2. The Town - 9/10
3. The Social Network - 9/10
4. Shutter Island - 8.5/10
5. Kick Ass - 7.75/10
6. Winter's Bone - 7.75/10
7. Robin Hood - 7.5/10
8. Hot Tub Time Machine - 7/10
9. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World - 6.75
10. Iron Man 2 - 6.5/10
...
Centurion - 6/10
Shrek Forever After - 5.5/10
Get Him to the Greek - 5.5/10
Clash of the Titans - 4.5/10
Alice in Wonderland - 3.5/10

I am going to see Tron tonight.  I will update this list to include it.

No comments:

Post a Comment