Pages

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Muschamp is A TRAITOR!!!!!!!

Just kidding.  Just wanted a little drama in my headlines.  I don't necessarily think he is a traitor...yet.  We'll see how it all plays out.

I have to admit, I didn't see Muschamp anywhere on the Florida radar. I was thinking they'd go after an established head coach (Stoops, Peterson, Harbaugh, Petrino) or they would try to maintain the continuity of Urban Meyer (Mullen, Whittingham, Strong). At the very least, if they were going to go with someone young, I thought they'd take their chances with someone who was offensive-minded.

If you had told me they were going to focus on defense with their head coach, then I would have been thinking Strong or Gary Patterson first. Hell, I may have thought to put Kirby Smart ahead of Muschamp only because Muschamp has been turning down jobs left and right, he's the Texas coach-in-waiting, and Texas has had such a bad year. Smart would have naturally come to mind ahead of Muschamp, for me.

I'm not nearly as afraid of this hire as I would have been of Petrino, Harbaugh, or Peterson (or even Stoops - as he is such a mega-name coach and already employs a variant of the spread in his system) as any of those coaches could have probably taken the athletes and recruits at Florida and created a smooth transition to a very potent offense. Not to mention, those big names would have probably resurrected the recruiting class (not that Muschamp necessarily won't, but the other guys have a track record as a HC to show recruits).

Now things will get interesting. What type of offense will Florida run, do they have the personnel to fill it out and how long will it take to adjust to it? Many people are saying Muschamp will more than likely run a pro-style offense to mimmick Saban's success at Alabama. We shall see. I just think there are a lot of questions to be asked about this hire, and lots that we just don't know about what the team will look like in 2011. With some of the more established guys, I don't think they'd be as many questions.

So, I think it was a questionable hire, and there are risks... However, I think Muschamp will successful at UF. It'd be hard not to be successful at UF.

No comments:

Post a Comment